Thursday, August 26, 2010

Some sort of gray area? Just a thought...

I recently read something on a fourm that really caught my attention. Someone had said that because a girl wore so much makeup, they were suddenly "fake" looking and it was disgusting and that she didn't need so much makeup. I always find comments that like so, so fascinating because we don't call celebrities who wear tons of cosmetics fake and yet we seem to be pulled into the illusion that makeup is suppose to create and forget (even if it's just for a few moments) that they don't actually look like that.


But then I hear people giving suggestions about makeup to people who decide not to wear it (who show their more natural beauty and opt not to wear ANY sort of makeup).



I wonder...is there a place between a face full of makeup and a bare one?

A place that we choose to ignore, depending on the person and situation?



I'm just always so fansinated by that (love makeup and psychology lol go figure!)...
 
 
My biggest insperation, Kevyn Aucoin, once said this: "First of all, let me say that I believe there are no rules when it comes to makeup besides the obvious: "Don't curl your eyelashes in a speeding wehicle," or "Don't up lipstick in your eye," etc...(but those aren't really "rules," they're more common sense). Experts seem to be popping up everywhere with strict dictates and "philosophies" that frighten people into thinking there is only one way to wear (and do) makeup that is "acceptable" and "normal" (two words I hate!). "Never wear black lipstick," "Makeup should never take more then five minutes" and "Never touch up your makeup in public: are just a few of the oppressive and, frankly, ridiculous "words of wisdom" frequently handed down by these self appointed cosmetic police. In a world of constant change, with ethnicities blending together, I feel the goal should be to expand our definition of what we consider "acceptable," "normal" and "beautiful." The future will belong to those with open minds and open hearts, who can appreciate beauty in all its forms."

8 comments:

  1. Is there a like button on this thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah ha ha, thank you♥

    Makeup is just such an interesting thing.
    Harmless powders and gels and creams can cause such passion on both sides.

    It's almost like a sort of taboo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bit by Kevin A.
    I feel the same way; I don't believe there are any hard and fast "rules" to makeup. I had to find out for myself though, starting out as a young person exploring the world of makeup. I clung to every word the experts said, making their tips and advice like a book of rules in my head. "Always do this like this" and "don't ever do that!" I had to gain the confidence to find my own way of experimenting. Now I find myself in the position of dispensing advice to those makeup novices who come to me seeking my makeup "wisdom", haha. I help them to the best of my knowledge, but try to impress upon them the idea that when it comes to makeup, even the rules are bendable. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I have frequently curled my lashes AND applied mascara whilst in a speeding vehicle! xD

    I used to never touch up in public, but I'm slowly getting over that and realizing that it doesn't make me "vain", and no one cares anyway, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to be the exact same way.
    And if I still followed the rules, I'd only be able to use browns and certain types of purple...now really...I couldn't even handel that anymore lol
    Now I figure "If I like it, then who cares?"
    It's just makeup and it washes right off.
    And I used to just eat up what the fashion police said and took every word serisouly. That may work for some people, but not for me.
    Being "in season" just isn't my thing and rules are made to be broken ;3
    I think that if a person wears something with confidence an a smile, then they can pull anything off!


    I would poke my eye out if I ever tried that XD
    I already have a hard of enough time doing both those things sitting still lmao!!!

    I know! Really, who's gonna be like "omg...she's srsly touchin' up her makeupz rite thur...Ugh...how tacky..."
    I can't do my eyemakeup because I use the 88 palette (and I am NOT lugging that beast around lol), but I do my lips and stuff :P
    I don't see anything wrong with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, if I limited myself to only certain colors or types of products, I'd die of starvation/suffocation! xD

    Haha, I love how you phrased that, and with the accent and everything! x3 Oh yeah, carrying around the palette would suck lol...
    Usually my touchup is my skin, since it gets oily. I used to use powder like every 5 minutes, but now I mostly use blotting sheets, I couldn't live without them!! And now I'm not as self-concious about using them in front of someone as I used to be. Yay, go me! :D lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Serisouly!
    D:
    To me, makeup is for fun.
    And waiting for colours to come into season is like waiting for the weather to start getting colder so I can wear cute jackets -- it takes too darn long and no fun!


    BLOTTING SHEETS ARE SO FUUUUUUUUN!!!
    lol
    Like...for me, it's kinda like popping zits.
    It's so gross, but I feel like I'm winning when I get rid of the icky-ness on my skin XD

    ReplyDelete