Sunday, August 22, 2010

Burts Bees Blemish Stick And Acne Solutions Spot Treatment Review

A few weeks ago, stress started taking its toll and I started having breakouts. After deciding that what I was currently doing to try to get rid of the spots, I decided to do something I hadn't done in years: BUY a skincare product. After a nasty chemical burn from an acne face wash, I was a little nervous, but decided to just got for it anways!
I decided to try out Burts Bees. Their products are all natural (there 2 are 100% natural), have a good reputation, and don't test on animals (a HUGE thumbs up for me).
And, as with all BB products, they're both paraben, sulfate/SLS, petrochemical, and phthalate free.


This review is on my experiences and my own opinions. I do not represent Burts Bees.

Because my acne was located near my forehead, I decided to try 2 produts: The Blemish Stick and the Acne Solutions Spot Treatment. I've noticed similar results with both of them (I did NOT use them together), though the Acne Solutions seems to be a bit stronger and works just a little faster. But just a little. Either way, both products shouldn't be used as an overnight solution (lets face it, nothing will get rid of acne overnight!).

With both products, there's a scent that some people aren't crazy about. It smells like eucalyptus, to me (both products contain it and when I'm all stuffed up because of allergies or being sick, I use eucalyptus products).

Wait until the product completely dried before applying makeup over it.


PACKAGING:
Both are spot treatments, and don't have too much product in them. Only 0.26 fl. oz.
Though if you don't over-use it (applying way more then necessary) then it should last a fine amount of time.
Both products come in thick bottles, both made of glass, I believe.

With the Acne Solutions, I'm a little iffy on the packaging. I'd highly suggest using a q-tip or small cotton ball to apply it to the skin. The liquid comes of a small hole at the top of the bottle, and can be prone to over-pouring and wasting product.

I'm in love with the Blemish Sticks packaging! It reminds me of those lip glosses with the ball applicator that you just roll on (though that'd be quite a fancy little lip gloss if it was made of glass!). It's very easy to just apply -- just roll it over the spot and you're done!

EFFECTS ON (MY) SKIN:
With both of them, I noticed generally the same thing: While the product dries, my skin feels a tad dry (which I assume is the alcohol in it. In the Blemish Stick, the alcohol comes from yellow corn) and the area turns a bit pink. Though it doesn't take too terribly long for that to all go away. My skin doesn't remain dry and the pinkness just disappears (and I've noticed that the redness of my spots go away too!). If you're a face picker (like me), it might sting a bit, but it's nothing too painful and also goes away a few moments after applying.  As I mentioned before, a lot of the redness disappears. I've been using these products for a couple of weeks, and have noticed my acne either disappeared or greatly gone down. While, for me, it's a bit slow working, my acne is much less noticeable because of it takes away the redness. I didn't noticed any sort of reducting on blackheads though.



INGRIDENTS:
Acne Solutions:
Active Ingredient: Salicylic Acid (0.75%) Inactive Ingredients: alcohol denat., citrus medica limonum (lemon) peel oil, water, calendula officinalis flower extract, achillea millefolium (yarrow) extract, borago officinalis (borage) extract, carum petroselinum (parsley) extract, foeniculum vulgare (fennel) fruit oil, salix nigra (willow) bark extract, melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) leaf oil, eucalyptus globulus leaf oil, juniperus communis fruit oil

Blemish Stick
alcohol denat., calendula officinalis flower oil, borago officinalis (borage) seed oil, achillea millefolium (yarrow) oil, carum petroselinum (parsley) seed oil, salix nigra (willow) bark extract, citrus medica limonum (lemon) peel oil, foeniculum vulgare (fennel) oil, water, melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) leaf oil, juniperus communis (juniper) fruit oil, eucalyptus globulus (eucalyptus) leaf oil




PRICES:  Some people think the Acne Solutions is a tad over-priced. I don't think it is at all (unless you're using it over a large area, it should last a good while). On the BB website, it's $10.00.
The Blemish Stick is $8.50


Overall, for a spot treatment, I'm quite happy with it, and it's something that I'm going to buy again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment