Friday, September 17, 2010

Lord of the Rings = Epic Awesomeness/n00b class

Allow me, for a moment, to totally just RANT.

In English class, we did a bit of reading from Lord of the Rings.
The reading was a bit from the Battle of Pelennor Fields (the battle for Minas Tirith).
I was so jazzed because, I L♥VE Lord of the Rings (and when I'm out of school, it's one of the series on my "GOTTA READ" list cuz I don't have time during school lol).
So like, yea, I knew everything that was going on while we were reading it. I knew the characters, I knew what the battle was about, I had the images of the people in my head.
I GOT DIS!

Well, I had forgotten that were going to watch a clip from the movie about the Battle of Pelennor Fields.
So I was wicked excited!
Karl Urban, Elijah Wood, Viggo Mortensen, Orlando Bloom...basically wizards, hobbits, elves, ghosts, men, orcs, epic huge-scale battles, Nazgul, giant elephants, and all things awesome and fantasy filled my English class.
And then she just let the movie run on and on *_* THANK YOU MISS!!!
Yes, way awesome. Totally made my day.

...Then people started asking questions.

Now look, I'm all for educating people on the awesomeness that is Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings", but I never realized how hard it would be to actually EXPLAIN it ;_;
I've never had a conversation with anyone who doesn't know anything about Lord of the Rings...which was pretty much my ENTIRE class...
There's probably around 20-somethin' people in my class. Pretty much 3 of us knew about LotR (which really suprised me. I thought more people had seen it).

So me and this other guy (the 3rd person was across the room) basically had to team up and while the movie was playing, give them a play-by-play and try to educate everyone on what was going on XD
And I thought "Oh, it's no big deal."
...IT WAS A HUGE DEAL!
Because without a back story, people won't understand.

"WHY ARE THEY SO LITTLE?!?!"
...You can't just say "Because they're hobbits."
"WHAT'S A HOBBIT?!"
Then ya gotta go into half-lings, why they have such huge feet/why they don't wear shoes, the Shire.

"What's wrong with Orlando Blooms ears?"
"He's a high elf."
"...A WHAT?"
"...**sigh**"

"WHY IS HE DESTROYING THAT RING?! IT'S MADE OF GOLD!!!"
"Because, it's evil."
"It's a ring...how is it evil?"
"**entire back story on the Rings, Eye of Sauron, the entire battle**"
"...Oh."
"V_V' **facedesk**"

"What's wrong with that guy?!" (That guy being Gollum)
"Well...**entire backstory of when he found the Ring, killed his friend, went into hiding, his 2 personalities, blah blah blah"
"...So what's wrong with him?!"

"What's Toto doing?"
"His names Frodo."
"What's Frito doing?"
"FRODO!!!"

"omg...they're going to kiss...gaaaaaaay."
":o Sam and Frodo are NOT gay! They're just best friends!!! SAM MARRIES ROSIE!!!"
"Lies. What about the other two? They're TOTALLY gay!"
"...They're bffs too -__-'"



Then we had to explain Gandalf, the eagles, who Faramir was and why Denethor was trying to burn him alive, orcs and where they came from/what they were.

Then I almost had to get into what n00b meant, but just decided to end that right then and there with a quick "Just don't worry about it."

Me and this guy realized 2 things today: We needed to have a LotR's marathon and being a nerd is hard work.

3 comments:

  1. omg hahahaha! Wow, I thought everyone had seen those movies but I guess I'm old enough that the younger generation just doesn't know about it..? My friend said she was 8 when the first movie came out, and she fell asleep in the theater, haha. We need to educate some people! >:3

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol XD
    I think we might just live in a world where romances/obessions are the new it thing...We're a dying breed, my friend.

    Serisouly, I'm ready XD
    I'm always suprised, like, "omg, u srsly haznt sen et?? WHRE U LIVING UNDR A ROK?!/1?!?!?1/!"
    I mean, it may not be as big as Star Wars (which I got into a sort of rant about today on FB with another SW fan who I don't even know...it was amazing XD I'll do anything to talk about Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon Jinn), but it's LORD OF THE RINGS!!! IT'S STILL PRETTY HUGE PEOPLE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But when they started asking these questions, there was a point when I was thinking "...How dare you...Who do you think you are?"

    ReplyDelete